IP Code (Ingress Protection)
International Standard CEI/IEC 529
The International Electrotechnical Commission established the IP Code to normalize degrees of protection provided by electrical enclosures, including luminaires. The classification system covers both foreign bodies, including dust (indicated by the first digit in the two digit code), and moisture (indicated by the second digit).
For full technical discussion of the ratings and the qualifying tests for each of them, please refer to IEC International Standard Document 529.
Paramount manufactures many products rated for IP 65, available in our Starduster® LED, Fluorescent and H.I.D. technologies. Look for our IP 65 Rated logo (shown below) on the individual product summary pages. For the most up-to-date listing of Paramount’s IP rated luminaires, please visit the Our Products page of our website.
It is important to note that NEMA Enclosure Type Numbers also specifies degrees of protection, but covers different environmental factors. For additional NEMA 4X enclosure information, please see the NEMA 4X Enclosures sheet or this NEMA 4x blog post.
- 6 Indicates: Dust Tight – No ingress of Dust
- 5 Indicates: Protected against water jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
Dust Test, for first characteristic numeral 6:
The test is made using a dust chamber incorporating a means suitable to maintain talcum powder in suspension in a closed test chamber. The talcum powder used shall be able to pass through a square-meshed sieve the nominal wire diameter of which is 50 µm and the nominal width between wires 75 µm. The amount of talcum powder to be used is 2kg per cubic meter of the test chamber volume. It shall not have been used for more than 20 tests.
The enclosure under test is supported inside the test chamber and the pressure inside the enclosure is maintained below the surrounding atmospheric pressure by a vacuum pump.
The protection is satisfactory if no deposit of dust is observable inside the enclosure at the end of the test.
Test for protection against water, second characteristic numeral 5:
The test is made by spraying the enclosure from all practicable directions with a stream of water from a standard test nozzle.
The conditions to be observed are as follows:
- Internal diameter of the nozzle: 6.3mm
- Delivery rate: 12.5 1/min ± 5%
- Water pressure: to be adjusted to achieve the specified delivery rate
- Core of the substantial stream: circle of approximately 40mm diameter at 2.5 m distance from nozzle
- Test duration per square meter of enclosure surface area likely to be sprayed: 1 min.
- Minimum test duration: 3 min.
- Distance from nozzle to enclosure surface: between 2.5 and 3 m.
After testing in accordance with the appropriate requirements the enclosure shall be inspected for ingress of water.
In general, if any water has entered, it shall not:
- be sufficient to interfere with the correct operation of the equipment or impair safety:
- deposit on insulation parts where it could lead to tracking along the creepage distances:
- reach live parts or windings not designed to operate when wet:
- accumulate near the cable end or enter the cable if any.
If the enclosure is provided with drain-holes, it should be proved by inspection that any water which enters does not accumulate and that it drains away without doing any harm to the equipment.
For enclosures without drain-holes the relevant product standard shall specify the acceptance conditions if water can accumulate to reach live parts.
Paramount offers many products rated for IP 65, available in Light Emitting Diode (LED), Fluorescent and H.I.D. technologies. Look for the logo (shown above) on the individual product summery pages. A few of our more popular luminaires include…
- For a IP Ratings Technical sheet, click HERE
- For Specialized Environment Lighting video, click HERE
- For additional Lighting Application information, click HERE
- For a Wet Location Technical sheet, click HERE
- For Paramount’s “Manufactured in the USA” details, click HERE
©1997-2017 Paramount Industries, Inc. 304 North Howard St. PO Box 259 Croswell, MI 48422 800-521-5405 fax 810-679-4045. All logos remain the property of their corporate owners and are for illustrative purposes only. No corporate endorsement by Paramount Industries have been given, nor is one implied. The P-Mark logo is a trademark of Paramount Industries. Techniseal® is a trademark of Paramount Industries. Starduster® is a trademark of Paramount Industries. Craft Lite® is a trademark of Paramount Industries. All rights reserved.